“I’ve just been involved in an accident – what should I do?”
Unfortunately accidents are all too common and can be a traumatic experience. If you are involved in an accident in the future please consider the following tips:
1. Don’t panic:
Stop your car, turn off the engine and turn on your hazard lights. Check if any passengers are injured and if possible get out of the car safely, standing a safe distance from the roads and oncoming traffic.
2. Call for help:
If anyone has been hurt then call the emergency services immediately on 999. The PSNI will only attend the scene if there has been an injury. If the police do attend, take a note of their details.
3. Exchange details:
- Speak to the other party and take all necessary details:
- Date and Time of the accident/ location/ visibility/ weather
- Other driver details: Name/Address/Postcode/Tel No./Insurance details/Registration No./Make/Model/Colour
- Passengers: Your car/ the other car
- Witnesses: Name/Address/Tel.No/Email
4. Do not admit responsibility:
Do not feel pressured into admitting any fault. Liability for the accident can be determined later.
5. Take Photos:
Try to take photos of the location of the vehicles before they are moved and any damage and skid marks on the road. If possible sketch the scene.
6. Call Collins Solicitors on 028794479696 or 02879632533 (or email – firstname.lastname@example.org):
We will be on hand to give immediate expert advice. If you are not at fault we can assist with contacting the ‘at-fault’ driver’s insurance company, arranging a hire car and advising if you will be entitled to compensation for injuries and losses sustained. It is common that you will be contacted by a Claims Management Service almost as soon as an accident has occurred. You do not need to use these companies and we can provide the same services but with an expertise and care that is rarely there with a Claims Management Service. Your local solicitor is best placed to look after you every step of the way.